Friday, June 22, 2012

A tear-jerker from John Grisham

I haven't read a John Grisham book for many years, way back when he first started writing. Not sure why I haven't read more, but there you have it.  I saw this one at the library yesterday and (in a small library with a dearth of new books) decided to read it.

It's the story of two fictional baseball players in 1973, one playing for the Cubs, the other for the Mets. As you would expect from Grisham, the story is well-written and moves quickly. What I wouldn't expect from him is a story that touched me so much. Toward the end, tears threatened more than once. And that's unusual for me.  It's a serious study of baseball, with lots of baseball stats and game talk and such, and if this kind of thing bugs you, read it anyway. I don't think you'll be sorry.

I sure wasn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment