Friday, August 28, 2015

Dogs -- REAL dogs!

I had the coolest encounter this morning! Really, hardly worth writing about, yet it was the highlight of my day.

Decades ago -- back in the 60s -- I raised and showed German Shepherd dogs. I had and still have a love affair with the breed, and would really love to have one right now. Unfortunately, it's not practical -- not to mention that I couldn't afford to feed one! My heart skips a beat every time I see one, although encounters are really few.

This morning I was walking through a parking lot at a market and noticed a gorgeous brown and black head at the rear window, poking its nose out the window, that was open a few inches. The dog wasn't barking, threatening, or anything, just curious. I said hello to him, although I'm not sure he heard me, and kept on walking. Then I saw a man who seemed to be headed towards the car with groceries in hand, so I asked him if it was his. He said yes, and I told him that I loved shepherds and used to raise them. He said, well, wait a minute, and headed to the rear doors of the big SUV, obviously going to let me get a better look.

He opened the doors and there were four of them -- four wonderful, big, gorgeous dogs all excited to see their owner, curious about the new person. I stuck my hand out and found utter friendliness (the really good quality shepherds are not vicious at all, merely protective if you threaten their people). I couldn't help myself -- moved in close to those fabulous heads for a hug and for a moment I was surrounded by doggie love. Real dogs -- not the overgrown rats like the one my roommate owns! I could have crawled in and sat surrounded by them, but after a moment I thanked the guy and moved on. I'm sure he had better things to do, but what a nice gesture. I'm sure he has no idea how much it really meant to me.

I smiled for a long time, and I'm still smiling when I think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment