Thursday, August 20, 2015

A Day in San Francisco


My latest online obsession is the live camera views from the E/V Nautilus, a research vessel that looks for and probes shipwrecks.  Last week they were looking at a known wreck off the coast of Monterey, CA. Yesterday they pulled into San Francisco and docked at one of the city-front piers, leaving both cameras live. I've had a fascinating day watching (on and off) all the action on the bay and at the docks -- including the big cruise ship coming in. They left promptly at 4pm, as advertised, and were well outside the Golden Gate an hour later. This ship boogies! I've noticed that at sea, before, but it was really evident inside the bay. I've been out on the bay many times, but never moved that fast. But then, I was generally in a sailboat. Next stop is Victoria, BC to explore a wreck site.

Needless to say, this made me homesick. I haven't lived in San Francisco since 1976, but I've always called it my spiritual home, and it still is, regardless of where I live.

The ship is 211 feet long and 35 feet wide, has a top speed of 10 knots. She carries two underwater research vessels and when those are in the water over the wreck, there is live video from them, plus audio of the conversations of the scientists on board, talking about what they are seeing. Pretty cool. Saw it on 60 Minutes last Sunday, and had to check it out.

I'm still feeling tired and puny -- not sick, just no energy. But, it'll pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment