Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Missing Eugene - Revisited

There are ways around most things, and while none of these really compare with being there, I've found small solutions to at least some of the things I was missing. My Oregon sweatshirt arrived yesterday, and I was more than a little surprised at the strength of the emotion that I felt when I opened the package and saw the logo.  I'm not an alumni, but I spent plenty of time walking or cycling through and around campus, which was only a few  blocks from my home.  I also spent hours at Hayward Field volunteering for various track and field events, including the Olympic Trials, so I certainly forged an attachment.

Do I dare wear this around here?  Lots of rabid Auburn fans who might take exception!

 
And -- this makes a pretty good replacement for a Dutch Bros. mocha, I must say.  In fact, I just finished one, after my morning coffee and breakfast.

Not much to say about the farmer's market -- no solution to that, other than a raft of fresh greens in my own garden.  The variety isn't great, and some things aren't growing as well as I'd like (spinach and chard in particular), but there is plenty of lettuce for big salads and eventually, the chard will get bigger.  Maybe it's time for another spraying of  Garrett Juice.  I pulled all the collard plants out and tossed them into the compost pile the other day, after discovering that I don't like collards any more now than I did when I was a kid.

All things considered, even if money wasn't an issue I don't see that I could ever live in Oregon again, as much as I love it.  Emotionally, it's best that I put distance between Eugene and me, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment