Friday, August 29, 2014

More changes...


After several weeks of deliberation, sitting on the fence, uncertain what to buy or, indeed, whether or not to even spend the $$, this morning I bit the bullet and bought a smart TV and inherited hours worth of frustration (being the good Buddhist I am, however, I did not allow the frustration to take hold -- I basically ignored it and stayed calm).

Instructions and manuals for these things (this thing, at least) are woefully inadequate. I had to figure out a lot of things and then none of the apps for wireless seemed to work. I spent a fruitless 30 minutes chatting online with a pleasant and helpful tech support person, while trying to explain to her that the signal out here is not strong enough to allow both the internet (chatting with her) and the TV to work at the same time. Naturally, I couldn't even reach the network during that time, although the TV had connected successfully and easily to it earlier. I think the afternoon slow-down was in effect too, so it was a foolish time to be trying it. I'll try again later, when the signal is stronger, see if I can get it to work.

If not -- my option is to get an HDMI cable and connect my computer to the TV and use the TV as a monitor when I want to stream something. There is a temptation to return it and save some $$ by getting a non-smart set, but that's a lot of trouble on my part, and I'm not sure it's worth it. I may have a way to use it in the future, after all. It does have a good picture, by the way, it's just not the best photo of it. And at least I got the Comcast remote to talk to it without too much trouble, and that's worth something.

Another big change -- the weather! It has been a pleasantly warm day, hovering in the high 70's, and I have to say it's been pretty darn nice. Windows and doors open, no jail-time inside during the heat of the afternoon. Best part is, this is due to last for awhile. We can only hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment