Friday, August 1, 2014

Life is good



So -- some progress is being made! Everything is unpacked, and most of it actually has a home, at least temporarily. I kind of like the bed where it is, only higher up on a platform of some kind so it could also be used as a day bed/sofa. There's really no other place to put it, other than in the cubby designed for beds, and that's a tad too confining for me. The chair and/or the table and chair set can go away, eventually, if necessary. It's way too crowded at the moment. I need a good desk chair -- and a desk, for that matter, although this drop-leaf table could be used for that quite nicely. I think it can possibly be more useful as extra work space in the kitchen.

At the moment, I'm using the chair for computer work, although now that I have my lovely wireless keyboard back, I can type comfortably in any chair. Happy to see my big monitor, too, although unfortunately the wireless speed here runs hot and cold, and my email only downloads into my Outlook on occasion. Seems to work in the evenings, but not the rest of the day. Or neither. Fortunately, I can work online -- albeit s l o w l y -- and even Google sometimes tells me 'some functions not working due to internet connectivity issues'. Like all things, this will change, eventually.



This is the sleeping cubby. A full-size mattress will fit in there under the cabinets, but it would be hard to make up, for me, since it would be squished against a wall on 3 sides. I'm not one to spend much time and effort at that process -- pull up the sheets and fluff the comforter and I'm done. I am thinking of putting a desk on the right side, where there is empty wall space. I want (there's that word I hate to use!) to get a 32" smart TV to go on the chest of drawers, and with the computer so nearby it would be easy to hook the two together, at least as I understand these things. I know my computer has a port to connect to a TV, so theoretically all I need is a cable. An actual TV would also help. My meditation cushion will probably go under the big hanging closet on the left, and I have to wonder how many times I'll bump my head before learning to duck.


Light from the skylight is distorting this photo, but it can't be helped. The big shelving unit isn't even really close to being full, although I had to put my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer in the hanging closet because that was the only place tall enough to fit it. I don't use it often, so that shouldn't be a problem. This little kitchen is going to be a challenge to cook in, but I've used worse and I'll figure it out. The tiny refrigerator is going to be replaced with a larger one in a few weeks, which is a good thing. This one doesn't hold much, but it'll do for now.

I went for a walk to BiMart a while back -- about a 30 minute walk, but I rather foolishly chose to do it just after noon, when the sun was blasting. Still, a slow pace and patches of shade helped, and I enjoyed the walk. Want to keep the exercise level up.

I've decided to quit whining about the heat. Yes, the little place gets hot and stuffy in the afternoon, but so do most other places in Eugene. Last week, during a heat wave here and in California, I was bemoaning the fact that I was 'missing what summer Eugene has'. Now I'm here, it's warm and sunny, and I need to enjoy it because it's short-lived. Before you know it, I'm likely to be singing a very different tune.

That's it from sunny Eugene today. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment