Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Still here

I swore I wouldn't do this, but I think I'm going to whine about this bloody heat wave! Just to let off a little internal steam into the already-existing external steam. To get my mind off it for a few minutes as I wait out the next hour or so until temps start dropping for the day. I've found that distraction is a big help during the hours from around 4pm to 6pm when this place reaches its limit on how much sun it can repel.

It would help if the wireless here worked well during this time, but afternoons are its worst hours and I'm lucky to even get a website to load, much less a video to play. I got lucky getting in here for this whine so I'm gonna take advantage of it. I get tired of reading, even a good book, plus my eyes start to burn  and sting and itch and I have to stop. Whine.

All in all, I've been pretty good -- looking at all the bright sides, realizing the impermanence of such extended hot weather in Oregon, knowing how much I'll appreciate the heat that the sun  pushes into this little cottage in the afternoons once winter arrives. I know the drill. I'm just tired of feeling locked into this room in the afternoons until that magic moment when the temps fall and I can open the windows and door and let the cooling breeze flow through the place. 

Of course, I am not really locked in here -- I can leave at any time -- but there's the question of where to go? I had a walk around the long block right after lunch, but the sun is too strong and hot to spend much time out there. The lovely porch collects sunshine like the solar collector it almost is -- hot!

And yes, I will appreciate that once the weather cools off and I want a little warmth. Right now, not so much. If the weather-guessers can be believed, we are going to have a 3 day respite around 80 starting tomorrow, with really cool nights, before popping back into the 90's for the foreseeable future. I hope they're right! A bike ride tomorrow morning in the cool air will feel really good.

OK -- enough whine. This morning I legalized my car and myself to drive/travel the roads of Oregon. Took about an hour, with very little actual waiting time, just plenty of patience and far more $$ than I had anticipated. Talk about sticker shock! Maybe it's time I seriously look into finding work.

No comments:

Post a Comment