Sunday, February 21, 2010

Progress

One of the biggest issues in this house is lack of storage,  particularly in the kitchen.  I love this pantry right off the kitchen, and it's a perfect place to store things.  Yesterday at HD I bit the bullet and bought this chrome rack I've been eying.  It's a good fit for the space -- a tad too deep, but not terribly so.  I put all the kitchen stuff I don't use too often on it, and while I love the look and have always wanted something like this, I now find that I still don't have storage for other things.  Alas.

I have room in the lower kitchen cabinets for almost all of this stuff, but this is so much more convenient.  I'm getting too old to reach down into a low cabinet and get the appliances, in particular.  Although, with the mixer on the bottom shelf here, I'm not sure how different it is!  I just like it better.

So my decision today is whether I put all this, or some of it, under the cabinets, or whether I spring for more $$ and buy another, perhaps taller (and deeper) one for the other side of the wall.  There's plenty of room for it, and that would certainly solve all my incidental storage needs.

This thing was a bear to assemble.  The instructions were rather lacking in detail, but did suggest two adults for the process.  Once I figured out the process, it went fairly easily and wasn't much of a problem, other than to my poor back.  By the time I stopped unpacking and assembling, around 5pm, my poor body felt like it'd been put through the proverbial wringer. 

The meeting yesterday was great.  I'm already into helping one of the members go through, scan and compile the records of one of the local funeral homes.  That may sound boring, but I love that kind of research.  I'll also help in various actual cemeteries, photographing headstones, etc.  The group wants to eventually have every cemetery in the county on-line with names, headstone photos, and even obituaries of the deceased.  These things are SO vital to a genealogist.  Fun.

There was a guest who was rather intriguing.  She and her husband have volunteered to survey and photograph cemeteries because they are into paranormal activities (ghosts!) and have just gotten their EVP equipment.  She and the kids were telling about someplace the were visiting the day before.  I don't think it was a cemetery, but it may have been.  There was a road and bridge that was out, I know that.  I don't remember why they were sitting in this spot (I really was only half paying attention), but she said her husband smelled gunpowder, and so did she and her son.  So they whipped out the EVP (which I believe stands for electronic voice phenomenon) and turned it on and started asking questions.  When they got home, they played it back and heard clear answers to their questions about the gunpowder and bridge.  They were also at a cemetery recently and photographed a ghost, a civil war soldier in full uniform standing beside a grave.  They were attending some kind of event celebrating civil war soldiers in this cemetery.  I've heard people like this on the radio, talking about EVP and photographing ghosts, but this is the first time I've actually talked to real people who have done it.  I guess I'm still half skeptical, but certainly open to the possibility.

Looking around my house, it doesn't seem as if I've unpacked much, but there's a pile of flattened cardboard boxes on the porch to prove otherwise.  There is so much I don't know where to put!  Still, I'm making progress.  The bath is now usable, thanks to some of my existing items.  Still needs work, but it's ok for now.  I have to sort out the clothing issue -- old houses have tiny closets, and the one in my bedroom is really small and inaccessible.  I plan to put shelving into both ends, but.....no time, so far.  The closet in this room is large, so I need to divvy up the clothes in some way that makes sense.  Yesterday, it was just 'unpack it', with little mental energy for organization.

I really want to take today 'off', let the body rest.  I think the only way I will do that is if I leave, go somewhere.  There are possibilities -- perhaps to Gadsden to the furniture/antique flea market, perhaps towards Atlanta to Dallas, to an organic nursery.  The weatherguessers are forecasting 67 today, and if yesterday was indicative I'm thinking they may be right.  Warm, sunny, delightful!  I really need and want to take advantage of that.  And maybe another trip to HD.

Happy Sunday, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment