Saturday, February 6, 2010

Monroe, Louisiana

I've really enjoyed driving into the sunrise these past few days.  It's always been spectacular.  Today, these wind farms were a nice change from oil fields, although the oil field smell was certainly still pervasive! These blades were moving -- albeit slowly.


I traveled much further than intended today, but things happen!  I'd originally planned for Marshall, TX, just inside the state line.  But, it seemed that Shrevesport was very doable and in Shrevesport it wasn't even 3:30 and I didn't want to while away all those hours in a motel, so on I went.  Total of 572 miles, just under 10 total hours driving time.  Not bad.  And I still feel human.

I had some fun, if you can call it that, in Weatherford, Texas.  I needed an oil change -- well, actually my CAR needed an oil change -- and I knew there'd be a Jiffy Lube somewhere in Dallas/Fort Worth, but didn't really want to try to find on in such a large area.  None of the tiny towns I traveled through seemed large enough to have one, but then I reached Weatherford.  It just felt right, so I pulled off and asked at a convenience store -- and voila!  Nasty traffic in the area, but the place wasn't far, they took me right in and it didn't take long.  Having sat for hours, I paced the waiting room and talked to some very nice locals.  I still say that the people in the heartland of this country are the best.  

They gave me directions to a less traffic-bound return to the Interstate. Very simple, only two turns involved, so off I went.  Made the first turn, but the second one didn't work -- dead end, not the right street.  So -- I tried to follow my nose and ended up in the old part of Weatherford, which has an absolutely incredible old court house.  I wish I'd taken the time to stop and take a photo.  The area was surrounded by really interesting looking antique stores and I really, really wanted to stop but....those places are no fun if you're in a hurry.

So, I asked more directions and ended up returning the same main street that passed by Jiffy Lube and took me through all the traffic.  Funny.  Then, just after I made the left turn onto the freeway onramp, I saw a little sign on the right that said "Chick-Fil-A entrance".  I didn't have to think twice about that one so I beelined into that driveway and hit the drive thru window.  For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, Chick-Fil-A is a southern chain whose specialty is a fried chicken breast served on a steamed hamburger bun with dill pickles.  Nothing more, but it doesn't need anything more.  Tender, delicious -- one of my favorite treats when I lived in Atlanta and the reality was every bit as good as the memory.  Yum.  They also have waffle fries that are superb.  Yum, again.  I paid for it, of course -- my stomach burned for awhile, but oooooohhhh was it worth it!  I felt like I'd died and gone to heaven. Yogurt for dinner again tonight!

I knew Dallas/Ft. Worth would be big, but the last time I drove through it was 1986 and let me tell you, I sure don't remember it being THAT big!  Crazy driving through it.  I tend to hug the left lanes of interstates in metro areas, avoid the mess of local traffic on the right, but here, several regional interstates peeled off to the left so I really had to be alert, or get really lost.  The traffic from here most of the way to Louisiana was thick and heavy.  Not fun.  This area also seems to be where 'southern driving' becomes the norm.  It's a regional thing and trust me, it's not said with any intention toward flattery!  I hated the southern driving style the entire 10 years I lived in Atlanta, and I'm no fonder of it now.  But -- I won't have to spend much time on the highway out where I'll be living.

This motel has TWO of those funny safety/security latches on the door, rather than the usual one.  I kinda have to wonder what that might tell me, but the car is right outside the window and nothing in the passenger compartment.  

Tomorrow, I should arrive in Cedartown easily.  Mr. Google says 478 miles, which is a piece of cake. Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment