Saturday, February 20, 2010

Happiness is.....

.....having my desk, my space heater, my comfy chair and warm wool throw all in the same room!  Yes, it's chaotic and funky and filled with the detritus of my recent 'camping out', but that will all disappear.  The mover didn't leave until after 7pm, at which point I simply poured some brandy, got comfy in the chair and watched Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice.  I was pooped.

Everything arrived, and for the most part, all arrived safely and in one piece.  A leg was broken off an antique blanket chest, but it'll glue back on easily.  The back of the white chair was soiled a bit, but the slipcover is washable.  Of course, I haven't unpacked any boxes marked 'fragile', but none of them rattled so all is probably well there.

I had forgotten just how wonderful my mattress is -- I enjoyed the softish, enveloping aspect of the air mattress, but have happily traded.  I had to sleep in a much cooler room, and even with a wool comforter and the down comforter, I admit to feeling some chill.  I don't like to sleep in too warm a room, so I'll just have to learn to regulate the heat better.  This room has the chill off, thank goodness!

The neighborhood kids -- and even their parents -- seemed fascinated by the big truck.  Once, a few of the little kids came over to peek inside the truck and there was a car in there, en route back to Oregon.  They thought that was really cool.  It's not a wealthy neighborhood, to say the least, so I think big moving vans are not commonplace.

I spent yesterday taking care of details around the house.  The dryer stopped heating, so I called a repairman who would have come yesterday afternoon, but I didn't want both him and Mayflower here at the same time, so he'll be here Monday.  I called a locksmith, who came out and rekeyed all four locks to one key, which is a real relief.  Each lock had a different key, and I found it frustrating to try and figure out which was which, so when I went out, I only used the dead bolt lock on the front door.  That's probably enough, but still....

I also cleaned the refrigerator inside, which took some time but was exceedingly worthwhile.  Once all these things were done, I simply sat in my lawn chair in the warm living room, in a patch of sunlight by the window, and read.  There is still much to do in the kitchen, but it will wait.  I need to clean the wood cabinets, but since I want to paint them I want to go to the This Old House website and find their instructions for painting over finished wood cabinets.  He specified something to use for cleaning as part of the prep work, so I might as well use the right thing and save a step.  I just have to find out what it was, because my memory..... well.

On a secondary note -- and thankfully, it is secondary -- I had a clean bill of health from my new doctor yesterday.  My blood test showed that my blood cell counts are almost back to normal. I haven't seen the numbers so I don't know how to compare them, but my blood cells haven't reached 'normal' for years, really.  Whew!  If you've been reading along for awhile, you've probably noticed that I've hinted about this a few times.  I didn't want to write it because it was just too scary and truthfully, I didn't really believe the diagnosis the hematologist in Oregon gave me.  She suggested it was a disorder of the blood and bone marrow similar to leukemia, and just as deadly.  I read up on the symptoms, and just didn't believe her, but made a concerted effort at building up white blood cells in my body until I could get here and be retested.  Apparently, I simply had some kind of virus at the time of the December test, because all is well now.  I'd had the H1N1 shot about a week beforehand, so that's a good possibility for being the culprit. 

I don't think I'll get a lot of unpacking done today, either.  I have a meeting this morning, a HD class this afternoon.  Perhaps in between, but there really is no rush.  I'm usually a dynamo at unpacking - can't wait to get the boxes empty and stuff put away -- but there's a lot of stuff I really don't know where to put because of lack of storage, so I'll just need to take my time.  And I have lots of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment