Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bremen, Georgia


Now I KNOW I am truly back in the south.  Pulled pork barbecue (a minimum of 2 days cooking, they say), peach cobbler and sweet iced tea.  Can't get more southern than that!


I'd left Birmingham behind on a homing path to Georgia.  The idea of lunch was on the back of my mind, but I didn't want fast food and I didn't know what I DID want.  Somewhere between Birmingham and Anniston I saw a big sign that said "Best Barbecue in the South, next exit".  Now, that's a pretty bold statement because the south has the best barbecue in the world.  There was nothing to do but give it a try.  It was almost 2pm but the place was still packed, a good sign.  

Oh, my goodness!  Is it the best in the South?  It's been awhile since I've had a local comparison so a little research is in order, but this would certainly be a contender.  It was wonderful.  A couple of hours later, and here I am in the small town of Bremen, where Highway 27 to Cedartown meets I-20.  I opted to stay here because the lodging choices are better, and Cedartown is a mere 25 miles away.  I'll have plenty of time for that 11am appointment.

Alabama may well win the welcome center/rest stop award.  I haven't seen enough of Georgia's to compare, but Alabama was super.  All of them were located on sprawling parcels like the one above, with lots of big pines and picnic tables, a lovely brick structure with 24 hour attendants and sparkling baths inside the building.  Free maps and brochures, really charming southern ladies at the desks.  In all fairness, the Georgia welcome center was just as nice, but I don't know if it's open 24 hours.  None of these had wireless, but who cares!

There are so many other reasons I know I'm in the south -- that wonderful accent, the word "ma'am" appended to every statement.  Southern hospitality is still the rule.  And yes, my own accent is coming right back faster than I can sneeze.  I damn near cried when I hit the Georgia state line, wanted to get out and kiss that red clay dirt.

I'm really tired -- very little sleep last night because I didn't like the motel, didn't feel that my car was safe, didn't like the neighborhood, etc.  Finally slept fitfully for about 4 hours.  NOT enough!  But, 9 hours and 456 miles later I am here, safe and sound.

Tomorrow is the big day.  In theory, BellSouth will have both my phone and DSL active tomorrow and I should be able to report in from my OWN HOME tomorrow night.  But -- we'll see about that!  If there's no post, don't panic.  It'll just be service trouble, and that can be straightened out.

No comments:

Post a Comment