Thursday, February 26, 2009

How Sweeeeet It Is!

I haven't owned a car for two years now and for the most part, I've been quite content with that status. I don't need one all that often, it costs a lot more to park and insure one than it does to rent for a weekend as needed, and I liked the environmental aspects of using my own two feet, bicycle or city bus to get around. This new purchase is for driving across country and will probably last the rest of my life. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy it now.

Yesterday, at home fighting the staph, I became aware of an almost overwhelming sense of relief that I never expected -- something so simple as relief that I won't have to walk 8 blocks each way to Safeway on Saturday to do my shopping. Normally I don't mind doing that, but last Saturday, with the staph raging, I barely made it home with the load of groceries. A little later I had to walk to the Urgent Care center a few blocks away. I was on overload by then, and broke into sobs as I lay on the examination table being painfully poked and prodded by the doc. It had all been too much. I was too tired.

Then yesterday, the more I thought about it, the more I realized just how much relief I really feel, and what a sense of freedom. I haven't owned a car I felt comfortable driving far from home since the summer of 2000. My old, beat-up '83 Honda served me well, but because it was so old, I didn't dare do any joyriding in it. Now, I think what I want to do the most is drive over to the coast which, for me, is one of the most beautiful places imaginable. I miss being able to do that -- made the trip often when I first lived in Oregon, even lived over there for awhile. Don't think I'm going to find the energy to go this weekend -- but soon. The photo was taken just north of Florence, I believe -- a beautiful section out of many beautiful miles of coastline.

And if I had any vacation time, I'd drive down to Napa and visit my friends there -- in total confidence. I can go anywhere I want to, whenever I want to, and that sense of freedom and relief from running errands on foot is far, far greater than I ever expected it to be. I have to pick up some more staph meds from Safeway tonight, and I am SO glad I don't have to walk it! Even if I took the bus, I'd still have several blocks of walking to do.

Convinced my doc to pony up a prescription for Xanax, to help me sleep, so that should also be ready tonight. I need that more than anything. After 10 days of sulfa drugs, I need another 5 to clear this thing up! But -- the end is in sight, and I should be able to sleep. All is well in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment