Thursday, February 5, 2009

Here, There and Everywhere

Seems like this day started about 6 days ago. Actually, it began around 3am Oregon time, and it's now 8pm Georgia time, so that's only about 14 hours. Still seems a whole lot longer.

On the positive side, I had two easy, trouble-free, on-time flights with only a short layover in Denver. Clear skies all the way, and a spectacular ride over the Rockies at a really low altitude. Big, snow-capped mountains as far as the eye could see and it seemed like we were skimming right over the top of them. Pretty cool.

The Atlanta airport needs a people-mover. I walked and walked and walked from the gate, wondered if I'd ever reach the rental car booths, with the laptop over one shoulder and my duffle in the other hand. Whine. But I was really pooped by this point. Then, Enterprise bumped me up from my econocar reservation to my favorite car in the world, a Toyota Prius that has all of 2000 miles on it, for an extra $2 per day. I told that rental agent that I loved her, when she made that offer! I want one of these cars so bad I have actually given fairly serious consideration to continuing to work for a few more years so I can buy one. I wish I'd have more opportunity to drive it these next few days. But it was a sweet ride while it lasted.

So -- I skirted Atlanta and it's horrid traffic and looped around to I-20 west, cruising in my little toy. Cedartown looks a bit ratty -- but maybe that was just fatigue speaking. The people are friendly and the hotel gave me an Eco-Room because the one they'd reserved for me wasn't ready. Theoretically, it has all kinds of eco-friendly features and is cleaned with non-toxic stuff, so it's just like home. Except there's a big TV with cable and that's definitely not like home!

I admit to a few fears and uncertainties all day regarding the finality of this trip, if I actually find a place and make an offer on it. Do I really want to do this? I don't know, but if I don't do this, I haven't a clue where I might go. I opted out of Mexico months ago for a variety of reasons. There's no place else I can think of that I'd like to go that I can afford. It's a conumdrum that's plagued me for years now, and it's really discouraging. I don't have to leave Oregon, of course, but I'm really wanting a warmer climate and the possibility of me buying a house there is simply non-existent. Finding a desirable, affordable rental is almost as unlikely, so Oregon is not the best option.

Still -- I don't have to decide tonight. Hopefully, I'll get some sleep (what a concept!), and of course will spend the better part of the next 3 days driving around and seeing the town and general area. By Sunday I should have a much clearer sense of whether or not this is what I need to do. I don't plan to make any offers while I'm here, even if I find a place I love. I want to go back to Oregon, take a few days for some serious thought. For once, I'm not going to jump in head first. Another amazing concept.

I had another email today from CNN (actually Turner Broadcasting, this time) wanting to use another of my photos, this one from the Napa Valley. I posted this photo on the blog early on, it's the one with the yellow wild mustard and the pink blooming fruit trees. I'll post it again with the CNN logo, you can be sure. My ego enjoys this. Hopefully she and I will connect on Friday and she'll get the info she wants and tell me when it will run.

OK -- I'm rambling and I know it. Fatigue does that to me. Bye, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment