Saturday, February 14, 2009

Eugene Farmer's Market

It's not for nothing that Bon Appetit magazine chose Eugene to spotlight as the second best small-city for foodies last year. The only reason we got second place was because they weren't thrilled with our local restaurants. Their comment was something like 'this is not a restaurant town, but it's a home cook's paradise.' I have to agree with the latter, although I do think we have at least a few pretty good restaurants here.


But -- the reason they put us in the article at all is the Eugene Farmer's Market, which at its peak during the summer showcases the fullest bounty of the Willamette Valley, the Oregon Coast, and wild mushrooms from the Cascades. Aside from the usual exceptional veggies (all organic) and the usual fruits, there is much more to be had here. Freshly made local goat cheeses, chocolates, home-grown pork, lamb, beef, fabulous eggs plus a riot of the berries for which the Willamette Valley is so justly famed. Strawberries (sorry, California and Florida, but Oregon strawberries are the sweetest in the world), blueberries, raspberries, loganberries -- all kinds of berries. Freshly caught tuna from the coast. Piles of fresh Chanterelles from the Cascades. Local baked goods -- my goodness, I can't remember all of it. And of course, there is all that great Oregon wine or micro-brew to wash it all down with.

I bring this up because the market returned from its winter hiatus today -- and believe me, it's a long dry spell every winter for those of us who love it. Only a few vendors out today, but that will change as spring nears and soon the blocks will be crowded with stalls bursting at the seam with choices, choices, choices. Remember, this is only mid-February, but aside from these photos there was lettuce, spinach, onions, leeks, potatoes -- all kinds of wonderful choices for so early in the season. We are truly blessed to have this, and it's only 2 blocks from where I live. It's also one of the things I will miss greatly about living in Eugene. Right now, it's only open bi-weekly, but by mid-summer we'll have this 3 days per week, right in the middle of downtown Eugene.


I don't like beets, but even I have to admit these golden beets look wonderful.

Don't you just love all this fab color? I buy a ton of that rainbow Chard every year.


I didn't know carrots came in all these colors!

More lovely color. Red cabbage and hearty Kale.

My problem is that I always want to buy more than I can eat because it's all so lovely. So, what did I buy today? Rainbow Chard, Kale, and fingerling potatoes. I really love those wonderful greens, and they are so good for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment