Sunday, June 6, 2021

New camera!

Some of you may remember that I got a new camera awhile ago. It was supposed to be the end-all be-all, but as it turns out I didn't like it, so I returned it. Since then, I've been thinking about getting one they showed me when I returned the first one, but I always came up with excuses of one kind or another. But a couple of days ago, I decided to Just Do It! And so far, I love it.

As you can see, it practically fits in the palm of my hand, has a great Zeiss lens and a 30x zoom that works great. I still haven't figured out how to hold that little thing steady when it's zoomed out that much, but it does a good job. When I first got it I went out into the garden area to test in on a variety of different subjects. It has great color, works really well in extreme close-up. These were my two favorites from that test. Does well in bright sunlight, shade, and mixed.

I love this peony, especially the dark shadows and streak of sunlight.

Simple photo -- but it shows how well it captures bright, rich colors.

I was under the weather yesterday, but this morning I went on a long walk for some other tests. The sky was heavily overcast the entire time. Some of my favorites from this morning. The sleeping duck was right on the trail -- no zoom necessary. He never moved, though I walked past him twice.

This is close up, no zoom. Would have been better with sunshine, but you gotta work with what  you have to work with.

These are Mergansers, according to a couple of birdwatchers who brought my attention to them. This was heavy zoom, though not full zoom. Biggest problem was following them with the lens in zoom mode, since they were swimming rather fast. They were also in a small, shaded section of the ponds and hard to see, let alone photograph. It could be clearer, but under the circumstances, I'm happy with it.
 
Later: Went for another walk this afternoon, to the Delta Ponds, found these, with a little more sunlight.
 
Western Pond Turtles, basking in the sun. Hundreds (thousands?) of them here.
 
I could be wrong, but I think this guy is a Wood Duck. Heavy zoom on this one.

Far end of the ponds, almost directly across the street from where I live, but only accessible via a nice, long trail through trees and daisies.
 
 
So that's my story for today. I look forward to more wildlife, more flowers, more everything. Hopefully on a less overcast day than today.


No comments:

Post a Comment