Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Walking in Sunshine

Another day, less staying inside.

I didn't get out around people, mind you, other than one here and there. I took two 45 minute walks from here looping along the river, one in the morning (not many folks out) and one after lunch on a different loop trail along a different stretch of the river (nice and sunny, a few more folks out). Got my 10,000 steps in, which I haven't done for awhile.

I'm so fortunate to live out of the populous downtown area, and to be so near so many wonderful options for biking/walking trails. Eugene has 18 miles of paved path along both sides of the river, with 5 bike/walking bridges scattered end to end. And that's just the beginning.

Streets are eerily empty of cars. The bike path this morning eerily empty of bikes as well as walkers. The afternoon sun brought folks out, but keeping a safe distance was easy for the most part.

Our first case of Coronavirus was announced today. A 69-year-old man living in a private residence in the Eugene/Springfield area. Hasn't traveled, had to have picked it up locally. Bad news, his symptoms began March 1, and he wasn't tested until March 13, so he had a few weeks to spread it around town, if the reports are correct and someone can be contagious for a week or more before onset of symptoms. And, if he got it locally, there's at least one more person out there who's been spreading it around even longer. Plus others that this unknown person encountered. It's not unrealistic to assume that the numbers can exponentially explode in the coming days or weeks. And this is happening in communities all over the country.

I didn't feel so confined today, with the two outings. Tomorrow, I want to try and get onto the river trail with my bike and ride to the south end and back. Weather should be good, but may be breezy and that might keep me off the bike. I'm not ready to tackle a stiff headwind yet for any distance, while I'm still getting used to the new bike. But my feet will still work.

Stay safe everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment