Thursday, March 19, 2020

Sunshine in the Garden

It's another beautiful, sunny spring day here, and it's impossible for most of us to stay inside. Fortunately, there is plenty of room in the garden for people to enjoy the sun or the shade, and not be close together. I went out a bit earlier to read in the sun. My internet (iPad) even works out there, as my apartment faces the garden.

This was my view from the chair I sat in. Not a lot happening here yet, but a few things are blooming and bulbs are rampant, and a few young veggies here and there. It'll be a riot of color soon.

This is my garden box, opened for the day's fresh air and sunshine. The frost-gard 'tent' was there all winter, and provides a great growing environment for various things. Weather was fairly mild this winter, for a change, so mostly it kept the cats and squirrels out. But now, everything in there is taking off like crazy. The Swiss chard (red stems) is ready to harvest again. I've been using the big, darker green cabbage leaves for taco shells. They actually work pretty well for that. They're sturdy and tough, and tend to 'cup' just the right way. The garlic in the center is just to repel bugs, and it does a good job of that. No pests like garlic!  There's also young romaine lettuce, but you can't see it here.

I could remove the 'tent', but then the cats would get in and dig and poop in it. That bit of white netting is only large enough to cover one side. Eventually, I'll get a larger piece to cover the whole frame, then remove the fabric. But there's no rush. They're happy for now.


A little closer look inside. I do love growing as much of my own food as will fit in this small box.

I've been walking a lot lately, around the river paths and such, and have observed that in the early mornings the paths are almost empty. A person or a bike here and there. In the afternoon, more of them. So this morning I went for a hour's walk at 8am, and saw only a few people the entire time. It's chillier then -- I think it was around 37F -- but not bad once the body warms up from exercise, and with the sun. So hopefully tomorrow morning I'll get up the nerve to try it on the bike when it's that cold. I think it'll be OK, and I'm itching to get out there!

Stay safe, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment