Sunday, March 29, 2020

A damp bike ride and yummy Keto tacos

I really itched to get out for a ride today, but it was overcast and misty and a 30% chance of rain. But rain wasn't due until around 1pm. So I dressed for the occasion (excepting my rain pants, which I won't forget again) and headed out in the mist, tail light flashing. A short ride on the riverfront bike path took me to a lightly used road that goes through neighborhoods (beautiful neighborhoods, million $$ homes) to another lightly used road which took me to the road to the sweet little town of Coburg, where I lived briefly before moving in here. That road is normally busy, but today it was practically empty. I had better sense than to try to ride to Coburg -- yet! -- so I took the normally-busy road back towards home, then on another normally-busy road back to the bike path, and home. Just over one hour. Wish it had been longer, though the mist turned to light rain for awhile, and it didn't bother me. Still -- a good ride. Any day on the bike is a good day.

Then it was lunch time, so after changing into dry clothes, I hit the kitchen for today's Keto Tacos. I choose my own foods on the app -- nothing is scheduled for me -- and this is one of my favorites.


'Tortillas' are big, sturdy cabbage leaves from my garden. They never fall apart, split, develop holes, etc. as other greens I have tried for this do. Slathered with a mix of mayonnaise and sriracha sauce, gobs of fresh guacamole, a tad over 5 ounces of organic grass-fed ground beef cooked in a patty then divided into 4 thick pieces.  Topped with cabbage and chard leaves from the garden mixed with the last of my home-fermented kimchi (there'll be another batch ready early next week).

Soooooo good. Years ago out in this part of the world there was an ad for a hamburger chain that always featured people biting into a juicy, drippy burger (and they really were good). The tag line was "if it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face". These tacos are indeed messy to eat, but that's part of what makes them good. I don't know what happened to the burger chain over the 4 years I was in Georgia, but they're no longer good. I only tried one since my return, and it was a horrible disappointment.

I've made some really fun and tasty foods while on this diet, and often wish afterward that I'd taken a photo. Happens often on what I call 'clean out the fridge day', wherein I do just that -- using bits and pieces of mostly veggies that are about on their last useful days.

Other than that -- life goes along well. So far!

No comments:

Post a Comment