Saturday, March 14, 2020

Hibernation

As some of you know, I live in HUD-owned senior housing. Apartments, not assisted living or any type of care. Many people here are health-challenged (lupus, emphysema, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, you name it). Other than having lungs that have never seen a bronchitis possibility they didn't like, I'm healthy, but still old.

I'm not a germ-phobe at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. But this CoronaVirus doesn't fool around so I started being more careful a couple of weeks ago partly to protect myself, but mostly to keep from bringing it into this building. Used the provided sprays to clean anything I used at the gym before and after using it, using disinfectant wipes provided at the entrance to some grocery stores. Washing my hands and face carefully when I get home from being out and about.

And really, I don't get out into places where there are crowds. I go to the grocery story, and to WalMart when I need to, but am careful about touching things and they generally aren't very crowded. When I go out, it's generally cycling or walking or hiking, places that are still relatively safe.  It doesn't hurt that I've had an odd little cough for a couple of weeks and a raspy voice, but these things are not unusual, either. And I suppose that if I'd had the virus that long I'd know it by now. Plus, as of yesterday there still were no suspected or confirmed cases in this entire, quite large, county.

But back to being HUD-owned. Yesterday the word came down from above that all community common areas (computer room, exercise room, large community event room, etc) would be closed for the duration. I'd already been avoiding those anyway, so no big deal. They've also put signs on the doors and told all residents that only necessary people from outside are allowed to enter the building. Caregivers (numerous people have those), contractors, delivery, etc.  Also not an issue for me, as I don't have anybody who'd be visiting anyway, now that Adam's gone. Residents, of course, are still allowed to come and go as we please.

But it feels weird, somehow, to be in this strange shell, rarely seeing another person.  It seems unrealistic to think that nobody in this place will end up with the virus. There are almost 100 people living here, and it's impossible to know if everyone is following recommendations around hand-washing, etc.  Yesterday afternoon I saw a man walk in the front door with two kids in tow -- nothing against kids, but they are nothing if not little germ-spreading machines, and should not be in the building at this time. The man probably shouldn't be, either.

And if it gets into the building, as much as I avoid common areas, I'm likely to get it, and I doubt that it'll be a good outcome, with my lungs. I've always felt that my lungs would kill me, but somehow I hope this isn't the time. No point in worrying about it, of course.  So I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment