Thursday, August 25, 2016

A fun errand day

I had a productive -- and I might even say fun -- day today. That word fun doesn't show up very often these days, and I can tell that I was much overdue. Even though it was running errands and things I wouldn't ordinarily classify as fun.

Left early to hit DMV and get my car registration renewed. That didn't take as long as I thought it might, so I was at loose ends for my next intended stop, with at least 30 minutes to wait. So off I went down the pike to the mattress store, which was open. Found and retested the mattress I saw Saturday. Still love it, paid for it, arranged delivery on Wednesday afternoon.

Then my next stop was almost open, and I only had to wait a few minutes. Big warehouse full of furniture, mostly, a warehouse basically of St. Vincent de Paul, a charity thrift store that tends to have pretty decent stuff at decent prices. This is where I'd found my desk on Saturday, and it was still there. I checked it out again, still liked it, but did the obligatory walk-around to check out any new sofas or other desks and things I might need. Didn't find anything. Paid for the desk and delivery, headed to a nearby smaller St. Vinnie's retail store and found a little sofa/loveseat that will work quite nicely in the room. Paid and added it to the delivery, which will be a week from Saturday. I was nicely surprised to find that furniture was on sale for 25% off today, so I saved a bundle of money. More than enough to pay for the delivery.

Then, off to a luscious, but high-calorie lunch closer to home. High calorie, but very healthful and utterly delicious. Brown rice, black beans, tomatoes, avocado, black olives, other things I don't remember and a sauce they make which is addictive. Yumm!

Then, walked across the street to a Goodwill outlet as I was still looking for a desk chair and some cheap kitchen plastics -- dishpan and drainer and such. Found enough to get buy, plus a very nice swivel desk chair that is small and can be pushed under the desk when not in use. Piled the plastics on the seat, pushed/pulled it all across the street to where my car was parked.

Then, on to Comcast, where I reluctantly signed up for service that costs more than I want, but at least gives me a free installation call.

And then..... home, where the AC that I forgot to turn on before I left is trying to catch up with the sun coming through the glass. Actually, feels just fine. Gonna be a hot one today.

And here I am. All the errands done. Still a few things I want (a small, funky old table and chairs for dining, mostly) but tomorrow I think I'll wander the junktique stores of Coburg (and there are many of them) to see if I can find something.

Now all I have to do is pack, and no need to start dealing with that until the weekend. All those calories stuffed me to the gills, but all this leisurely driving around was actually fun. I think I really needed to get out for more than a short errand, talk to people, do what normal people do with their lives. I need to be less of a hermit, but am sure that will change to some degree as I meet new neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment