Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Visit to Hendricks Park

Hendricks Park is one of the hidden jewels in the city of Eugene. High upon the south hills, up a twisty, narrow road to what is, for me, a refuge. Without a car, I've mostly walked to and from -- an hour each way from home -- and then spent a lovely hour or so in peace and introspection walking the many trails. Today, I drove.

Mostly, I walk the Rhododendron Garden, which is one of the oldest in the country and spectacular in just about any season. Not surprisingly, it's at its best in the spring when the masses of Rhodies are blooming. A few of the early varieties are out, including this red beauty, but the real display is a few weeks off. Still, it was beautiful. My camera battery died shortly after I arrived, so this is a mere taste.



This tiny bit of stone art is one of my favorite small treasures in the park. The exact shape and structure change with the whim of whomever is its creator, but it's always there. In fact, I love to sit in the bench which faces this hillside and just relax and feel.


A few water-bedraggled azaleas are in bloom, which appeals to the Georgia girl in me.




Paths through the park drift off into a myriad of little private places such as this one, each with its own bench. So utterly peaceful, hidden from the mainstream, wonderful places to think, or just be.









I think this is called Helleborus -- whatever it is, the park is filled with it right now, in small patches such as this one, and much larger swaths.




I don't know who puts these whimsical Christmas ornaments on this magnolia, but it's one of my favorite 'finds' in the place. Someone -- probably the same someone -- also perches tiny elves on branches here and there, just waiting to be found by the sharp-eyed wanderer.












Is there anything more beautiful and perfect than the natural colors and patterns of nature? This, to me, is exquisite. Sigh.

I hope you enjoyed this little tour -- so much more to be seen and enjoyed. I'll remember to start with a fresh camera battery next time, although I think this is more than enough photos for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment