Tuesday, March 3, 2009

To Beach or Not to Beach

Life has been so quiet and peaceful and good that I've had little to write about. That's a good thing.

About the only thing going on is the application for the apartment in Cedartown. That's iffy -- she only has one apartment coming available and it's a 2-bedroom (nice, but costs a bit more). She also can't hold it for me to arrive beyond April. The woman calls me her new cousin (possible, but no known connection), and is going out of her way to make it possible for me to get this place. I faxed the application to her this morning, at her request, so she can get me on the list. I still have to send her a check and a statement from my landlord, but then we should be good to go.

I was re-evaluating the financial scene today, and it seems that leaving May 15 wouldn't gain me one penny over leaving May 1. Since she has to completely re-do this apartment, maybe she'll be able to hold it until then. If not, then I'm not meant to live there, or a one-bedroom will open up in the meantime. I'm still not sure I'll be ready to leave May 1, and I'm not going to let this drive my decision.

The weatherfolk seem to think Saturday is going to be clear and dry -- which means this gal is going to drive over to the coast and spend some time walking the beach. I haven't done that in many, many years and I simply ache for the experience. I need to be careful, though. It was the Oregon Coast that filled my head and heart and insisted I move to this state 13 years ago when I first saw it. That love hasn't abated. Wonder if I'll feel any urge to stay -- maybe move to the coast? Certainly won't have the warm weather I'm seeking, but to me it is one of the most beautiful places on this earth, and it speaks to me. Loudly. If I could walk those beaches every day again, I just might be willing to put up with the cold days. I've walked those beaches in driving rain/wind storms and loved every soaking-wet minute. I think a germ has been planted in my head as I write these words.

Of course, the likelihood that I can find anything on the coast that I can afford is another story entirely. No doubt, it's a pipe dream and a passing fancy -- but I love pipe dreams and passing fancies and it's fun to indulge in the moment, then let them pass on by. The photo is, of course, the lighthouse at Yaquina Head in Newport, Oregon.

Also looking forward to filling that 6-cd changer with some of my fav music and letting it blast away all day as I drive. There's noplace else I can do that.

2 comments:

  1. ...I would gladly make a pact with the devil to go back to those carefree days of days past. I can remember snuggled up in a sleeping bag in the back of an old van ready to blow out a single candle at days end with only the sound of distant surf to comfort me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really had that kind of carefree old days. Never even slept on a beach. Often wanted to hike over the Oregon Dunes to the coast and camp out for a night or two. There used to be a portion that was out of bounds for the dune buggies, maybe there still is. I hope there still is!

    You make it sound very inviting.

    ReplyDelete