Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pork, Peaches, Apples and Cemeteries


Ahh -- this is what I drove 2.5 hours each way to get -- southern fried pies. This one is peach, the other apple.  Having tasted both, the peach wins.  They're fresh, too -- there were a couple of women visible in the kitchen making more.  For you Yankees, it's just another southern tradition you have to try in order to appreciate. And yes, I could have gotten these locally, but it was all about the quest for memories, and for those, I needed to go someplace specific. 



The rest of the quest -- fresh Elberta peaches and Gala apples, right off the tree.  Would you believe only $4 for each pile?  A bargain!  I asked the woman about the small, juicy peaches I remember and she had a name for them that I've already forgotten, (White Lady?) but they were all gone.  Makes sense that they were an early season variety, as I did most of my weed trimming on the Trail in the spring and early summer (with a hand sling blade, y'all, for about 2 miles of trail.  No Weedeaters here!).


The grail -- as best I remember it, anyway.  There are a lot of farm stands up here, but I remember enough details that this almost has to be the right one.  And, does it really matter? It was certainly the right one today.


Poole's BBQ Pig Hill of Fame. Unlike my last visit, the sun was shining and the parking lot was filled with cars from all over the state and several other states.  I like their food, despite the photos ops and stories of visits by George W. Bush and Pat Robertson.


This really needs sound effects -- there were pork oinking and grunting sounds coming from these cars.  I'm surprised they weren't rocking.


Along the way, I'd mapped out three old cemeteries to visit.  Found all three of them, which is rather amazing all by itself.  My second great-grandparents (part of that troublesome Smith Family) are supposed to be buried here, but I didn't find any stones for them.  There are lots of unreadable markers and plenty of graves only marked with plain stone at the head and foot.  I may have just missed them by not looking at the 'newer' section.  I didn't have notes with me, but she died in 1925 which might put her in the newer section -- I was thinking it was much earlier.  Oh, well.


It was a big place -- lots of old markers and even a couple of crypts.


I don't know if this will be readable even if you click to enlarge.  Interesting history of the cemetery and area.


This was the second cemetery, where I was primarily helping out a cousin in Oklahoma.  I found lots of people here, including the brother of my 3rd great-grandfather on my mother's side, his wife and several of their kids.  Plus unknown (to me) assorted other family names, all of which I've passed on to my cousin. The third cemetery was a bust -- although there were more unmarked graves than marked ones and I only had a general family name, no specific names.  I was getting tired of cemeteries, and hungry for pork, by that time anyway, so I headed on north.

All in all, a lovely day.  Fog filled the air when I left home at 8:30am, but by the time I reached the cemeteries all had burned away and the sun shone brightly.  Took about 8 hours, in all, mostly driving, but I feel great. As always, lots of sentiment as I drove those old familiar highways and byways.  I'd take a turn on a 'new' road, and then think, "I remember this...." although I could not have said why I'd have been on that particular road.  In those days I think I traveled almost every road there is up there, finding a way to get from Atlanta to some particular trailhead or, often, me finding a way to get to Cedartown or Rome after a hike in order to visit my mom.  Those were long, long days!

No comments:

Post a Comment