Thursday, July 8, 2010

Garden Bounty


It's that time of year -- even though my squash plant went south on me and the new bean plant is just starting to produce, the nightshades are doin' just fine, thank you.  I've been ignoring the yellow and red peppers for awhile, bein' too lazy to cook 'em up, but my appetite must be returning because on a day when it's 98 in the shade, I chose to turn on that hot gas burner and saute some veggies for dinner.  Go figure.   

Besides the peppers there's a small Japanese eggplant, a few tomatoes tossed in at the last minute to warm up and a big sprig of rosemary.  I just realized that I neglected to add garlic to this mix, and while it's good without it, everything is better with garlic, and even better with more garlic.  I must really be out of practice, because garlic is usually the first thing I think of at a time like this.
 
Half of this with a Bruce Aidell chicken Italian sausage made for one very nice dinner.  And enough for tomorrow night, too.  Kroger only carries one variety of Aidell's sausages, and while they're not as good as the wonderful house-made organic sausages at Market of Choice in Eugene, I have to accept that I'm not in Eugene anymore and I'm lucky to get anything other than Hillshire Farms around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment