Monday, March 8, 2021

What's the furry critter?

 

I treated myself to a new camera last week, as my old one was on its last breath and no longer taking decent photos. Saturday morning I went for a walk to the ponds to take a bunch of test shots, just to see what I can expect from the new toy.

Imagine my surprise when I walked up to the parking lot railing and saw the circular ripples, watched until the maker surfaced again. Zoom isn't very strong on this new lens, which is a problem for another day, and since he wasn't waiting around to pose for pictures, I had to snap a quick shot, then enlarge it to get a better look. That face is adorable, with a long body. I don't know if river otters get that large, or particularly if minks get that large. There's a beaver dam 40' away, but it doesn't really have that rodent look to it, with that face.

I've spent hours over there during the past 4.5 years, and this is the first time I've had a good look at any furry critter. Whatever it was, it was frolicking and having a good early-morning swim until it saw me, then it spooked a bit and swam off, surfacing again further away.

Camera is nice, except for the aforementioned lens. I suspected I'd need/want more of a zoom, and this walk certainly confirmed that. I could either spend $300 for a second lens that takes over where this one leaves off, or $600 for a lens that combines both of them. Not loving either idea, at the moment. I'll play with it some more for awhile, see how I feel later.

All is well here. I am now fully vaccinated against Covid [one of the rare benefits of old age is that we get in line sooner] and have escaped the winter in good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment