Sunday, January 10, 2021

Leftover Carnitas turn into magic


 Hi, Y'all.  Thought I'd share my lunch today with you. Continuing the recent obsession, last week I made more carnitas, and am pretty sure this was my best yet. Seared, then slow-braised in oven for 5 hours with garlic, onion, bay leaves and a few dried peppers of various kinds. So good, I could have devoured it all in one setting, I think, straight from the dish in which I shredded it. Afterwards, I put everything left in the braising pan into the blender and whirred it up good, saved it. Also delicious, though I had to reduce it for a very long time before it gained any thickness, and who wants a watery sauce? Froze leftover meat and sauce.

Yesterday on some forgettable show on Food Network I saw something that gave me a good idea. No carnitas involved, but I instantly saw how they could be. So today I heated some of the leftover meat in this little pan, put a perfectly fried egg over the top, added some of the sauce and some of my favorite Oaxaca cheese and stuck it under the broiler for a moment to melt.

I practically inhaled this! Could have eaten twice this much, however this much alone had 540 calories, not counting the sauce because I really can't even approximate such info about it. So no, I didn't need any more.  But again, YUM.

After a sucky week, a little success, a victory, feels pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment