Friday, September 18, 2020

Clear skies --- and soy sauce

This photo, posted this morning by a local TV station [KVAL] on Twitter, says it all. Pretty sure this is Spencers Butte, which I climbed last spring. Overnight rains have brought relief! It took awhile -- last night when I opened a window to test it out, the air merely reeked of wet ashes, which is not pleasant. In the middle of the night, it was better, and I left the windows open for awhile but could still feel the irritation. By morning, AQI was down around 100 or less and the windows have stayed open since then.  And it feels great! Supposed to keep raining today and tomorrow, too. Over an inch so far at the airport, or so I heard. 

We had quite the lightning show all night, too. I could clearly see the flashes and hear the thunder. Many of the large storm cells bypassed us altogether, staying to one side or another. But we got plenty. I haven't heard yet about any relief from the fires, but I sure hope it helped those, as well, and didn't start any new ones.

As you might have gathered, I had another sleepless night, for the most part. More nightmares, plus I was a little tense/wired in the evening, and that carries over to the night. One dream I remember parts of involved a cat, a neighbor in this building who I don't see very often, and something about food that turned out to be empty containers. All with their own bit of angst involved. Weird. They are always weird.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this here before or not, but it bears repeating. A couple of years ago my son told me that soy sauce was good for burns. I was skeptical, but next time I got a minor kitchen burn I tried it, and it worked. No pain. Just splash it on. I've tried it numerous times, and it has always worked. Yesterday, I splashed a little hot oil onto my left wrist and could tell it was less minor than most of mine are. Sensitive skin, and all that. When I got a chance, I splashed the soy sauce over it and the pain immediately went away. I rinsed it off fairly quickly because I didn't like the smell of it. Then, for the most part, forgot about it. This morning I have two blisters where the oil hit skin, but there is still no pain. I don't know how or why this works, but it does. I think I looked it up once and saw some reasons, but of course I don't remember them.

Another storm cell coming through -- mostly wind at this point, but feels as if some wet stuff will be involved. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment