Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Smoky skies and pesto in the works

 

The view from my window this morning, about 8am. The eerieness of smoke-filled skies. I just came in from a quick trip to the trash and garden, and the air is filled with particles of all sizes, from tiny to good-sized flakes, all swirling around. All over my garden plants, cars, every other surface. I don't plan to go out again today.  And thank goodness for AC, which I dislike intensely, but which comes in  handy when you need to breathe.

This stuff is mostly coming from old fires in Oregon and Washington. We just  had a major wind shift late yesterday afternoon that brought it to us, rather than away from us. Not supposed to last long, thank goodness.

On the good side, I picked a bunch of basil -- probably enough for a double recipe of pesto. This is a good thing! There's probably this much more left out there, too. Shook the ashes off before coming inside, then washed them. Should make for lovely pesto for the freezer.


No comments:

Post a Comment