Saturday, October 10, 2020

Hiking and .... granddaughters!

 

Hi, all. Yes, I continue to live, have just been lazy. After the fires and smoke cleared, I've begun the local hikes again, and it's good to be back outside.

Photo is from view partway up Mt. Baldy, a smallish mound on the southside of town, with a long stretch of straight uphill walking right from the parking lot. A lovely round trip, and then we crossed the road to hike through a rolling fir forest trail so that we got our 90 minutes in. My hiking buddy took the photo with her camera, which did a pretty good job.

The sun was more red than white, to our human eyes, a result of high smoke from the California wildfires rather than our own. The fog on the lower hills is so lovely, though. 

A couple of weeks ago I unexpectedly ran across a person on a genealogy site who I suspected was my granddaughter, and it turns out, I was right.  I lost touch with my daughter back in 1996 when I moved from Atlanta and ended up here in Oregon. In the process of moving, I lost her unlisted phone number in Sacramento. I had her address, and wrote there a couple of times telling her how to reach me. This was in pre-cellphone days, of course. But, I never heard from her and didn't know if she ever received those letters. I would search for them over the years, but never found them.

Turns out, they'd had a little girl in the late summer of 1996, born with a heart defect, who eventually died a couple of months later. Understandably, it was a difficult time for them and in the process, she lost my contact information. Now we are all in touch and happy to be back together and I have two beautiful granddaughters in their early 20s. 

 Life really turns in a moment, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment