Sunday, May 24, 2020

Long bike rides and the world's best cheese

So -- after a week of relative inactivity [wet weather, and general laziness], went off with my neighbor on a really nice, long bike ride this morning. My favorite bike path [same one I took a few weeks back that really kicked my butt and took me up the dreaded Roosevelt Hill], but this time my body had more energy, was stronger overall, plus she knows the way home that takes us around that damned hill.  Longest ride yet -- a little over 20 miles, 2 hours and 33 minutes. And I feel great afterwards. Plus, all those calories burned lets me eat a bit more than usual, while still keeping my diet app happy.  Speaking of diet.... there's this:


My local market keeps a little basket in their cheese shop where they put small 'leftover' bits of cheeses at tiny prices, for tiny pieces. I scour it every time I'm there, because often there are bits of favorite cheeses, or cheeses I've never tried, from around the world. All of them are cheeses I could never afford in even the smallest wedge they have pre-wrapped in the counter -- $40-50/lb. kinds of cheeses.

There's one in particular I always look for in that basket, but until Friday have never found. But there, like two radiant jewels, were two bits of Rogue Creameries Rogue River Blue, from Southern Oregon! I grabbed them fast, checking with the counter attendant first to be sure they were what I thought they were. Some months ago this cheese was named the best cheese in the world at some prestigious event, and of course at $50/lb. it's way beyond my budget. Plus they were sold out of it for awhile, but they told me a couple of months ago that they'd gotten some more, same batch. And this, my friends, is it. I have to say, it lives up to its reputation.

I've had other of the Rogue Creamery blues [from the basket] in recent months, all utterly delicious, and without tasting side-by-side can't say that this one is that much better, but at least now I've tasted it, two wee pieces with my evening wine, two nights in a row. Creamy, a bit salty, tons of flavor I don't have words to describe, all of them good. I'm a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment