Friday, May 15, 2020

Biking between rainy days

Another clear and sunny day today, so off I went on the bike again. New helmet and all. Really wanted the open road, so I headed north to the little town of Coburg, where I lived for a couple of months before moving in here.

Google said it was 8 miles, and they [and my bike computer] were spot on. I felt fine, so opted to ride on through town to a nice loop I used to ride that goes through farmlands, orchards, some modest rural residential and a couple of newer, modern 'spreads' with fancy iron gates. Just under a 3 mile stretch that added about 4 miles total to my ride.

Hardest part of the ride was the part getting to/from Coburg Road from here. Too many city streets and stop lights. But then I was free and clear and able to move the bike fast [fast for me, which is not fast for most folks]. But I love those sprints, those times where I just pedal as fast as I can until I slow down naturally. Always have.

I was a bit pooped when I got home, 20 miles, 2 hours 23 minutes later, but ----- NO JELLY LEGS! Of course, no Roosevelt Hills, either, but a couple of highway overpasses and some other grades along the way.  Plus a headwind that was a bit unfriendly here and there, especially coming home. And a lot better average speed.  8.4 compared to 7.7 on Sunday.


Of course, I've done nothing substantial since I got home -- eating and chilling. Oh, and I ordered a thick sheepskin cover for the bike seat, because after those 2 hours my behind was sore, and I need to put an end to that problem. Not sure it'll fit the bike, but if it doesn't I can return it. And order a custom cover for about 4 times the cost of this one. Photo from 1983 in Colorado, but note the sheepskin seat cover. The trip up Loveland Pass that day was a day trip, so most of my gear was back at the campground and not nearly as impressive as say, this one. Fully loaded, but can't see the seat.



Cheers, all. Stay healthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment