Sunday, May 10, 2020

Jelly-legs

Whew! I'm still alive and -- other than my legs feeling like jelly at the moment -- well.

Decided to take the bike out for a long ride today, one I've done many times but not since maybe 2006.  I wasted about 20 minutes trying to find the right trail off the main riverfront bike path, and then on through the western edge of town to another bike path that goes west. By this time, I was already feeling a bit tired, but I knew I could do it so I kept on and finally arrived at the best part of the trail which goes through meadows and wetlands and is generally quite peaceful. These photos are from a walk along part of the trial that Adam and I took a couple of years ago.



The trail also goes alongside this creek for a good part of the way. This is Amazon Creek, which has its start in the south hills near where I used to live. It's more of a slough, really, as it goes through town. But out here along the path (Fern Ridge Path) it's more wild. Usually lots of herons and other wildlife along here. And often, wildflowers.


I'd intended to return the way I came, as I've done in the past, but by the time I reached an optional trail that takes a right turn and heads back toward home, I decided that might be the best way to go because yes, my legs were still tired and would not put a lot of effort into the whole adventure. I'd never taken this route before, but my neighbor that I hike -- and sometimes bike -- with takes it all the time. I didn't remember just how she gets home once that trail ends and then it's necessary to ride on rather busy roads. But I knew I was going the right direction and could find my way home.

She was talking about this path the other day, mentioning some turns that she took that avoided the 'Roosevelt hill', but of course I didn't remember all those details so I ended up having to ride up that dreaded hill, which is rather a doozy. I've avoided hills of any kind since I've had this bike, because I wasn't sure of 1) my legs, and 2) just how low the lowest gear of this bike is. I made it up, slowly and a bit wobbly. Then had to take a left turn and ride another busy road that I prefer to avoid (actually, it wasn't all that bad) while looking for the road that would take me back to the river trail. I saw signs to a couple of them, but wanted a specific one. And then I saw a sign for the last bike bridge that crosses the river and knew I'd gone too far. I live near that bridge, so it was fine, but it's another place I've avoided because of the grade on both sides to get to the top of it. Made that one, too, even with jelly-legs. Turns out, the road I was looking for doesn't connect with this specific stretch of the busy road I was on. Now, I know.

Legs are still jelly, but at least I'm no longer fearful of some of these moderate hills around here that I've been avoiding.  My sweet new bike computer says that total time was 2 hours, 33 minutes, 19.69 miles. Average speed was only 7.7 mph, which is embarrassing, but that includes plenty of city streets and a few stops to turn around, etc. Really, I need to get that up!

All in all -- jelly-legs not withstanding -- it was a good morning. And knowing that I can do some hills has opened up all kinds of new places to go that I've been avoiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment