Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Yum!


I'm beginning to like what I'm calling 'pantry/fridge clean-out days.'  Somehow, all that good stuff tossed into one dish makes for some pretty tasty results.

Today, I had a little leftover arborio rice from when I made paella back in April. Thought to toss it, but then -- decided to keep it until I had some white wine open, and try some risotto. No recipe, though I did check the steps and process to be sure I did it right. I wish I'd managed to skim some of the fat off the broth, but I was too lazy. Tastes good, but is a bit rich.

Also in the fridge, along with a really small, but adequate amount of leftover chardonnay, was some leftover rotisserie chicken and a few cherry tomatoes. Garlic and onion are pantry staples, and I cut some rosemary from the garden. Yesterday I made some fresh chicken stock from some of the chicken bones. And that was that.

I'm no risotto expert, but to me it's pretty darned tasty. It's creamy, which is what the experts say is the desired state. I've had risotto cooked by others that was kind of sticky and gummy and not the least bit creamy, so this was a real goal. Creamy, perfectly cooked to the perfect state of al dente, if I may say so. It's a good thing, too, because I used every last drop of the stock I'd made and was wondering if I'd need some hot water before it was over.

Went for a walk down to the ponds early this morning for blackberries. Came home with 3 cups, which is adequate. I got 4 cups on Sunday, and I'm sure others are helping themselves as much as I am. Main thing is the briers are loaded with black fruit that's just not quite ripe enough to fall into my hands with a gentle tug. There's plenty more to come.

Not sure what to do with this bounty. Sunday I made a cobbler and put some of the berries into the fridge for the next day's smoothie. Right now, my tummy is full and the berries are not calling to me, but I suspect that will change as the day goes on. I only use a drizzle of honey over the berries, and a tiny amount of sugar (a teaspoon or two) in the biscuit dough that tops it. It could be worse.

Time to go clean up the kitchen, but it was worth it....

No comments:

Post a Comment