Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Summer in the ponds

It's been awhile since I walked around the ponds. I got tired of seeing the same thing, and then I got sick. Today I went to town on the bus to pick up a library book and hit the farmer's market, and on the way home noticed how low the water is, so I thought I'd check out the change of scenery. That little family of ducks was adorable to watch, if hard to focus on. They were moving fast! More photos of them further down.

Back in the winter, water rushed under these bridges barely missing the walkway. Now, this one is just a pile of rocks and the one below isn't much better.


A yellow waterlily about to burst open here -- need to come back in a few days to check it out.

Wild sweet peas are just one of the many things I love about an Oregon summer.

Hard to tell what these are -- puffy purple balls, basically, in speckled light. Lots of wildflowers blooming today, though very little wildlife other than lots of beautiful dragonflies.

Much of the ponds are covered or nearly-covered in these lilipads. I wonder if they will bloom? More to check on later!



Obviously, I had fun watching these ducks!

To the uninitiated, this looks pretty boring. But that left bank, all the way along the ponds and further, is Oregon black gold. Wild blackberries! They are just coming into season and I expect to head out there more than a few mornings once the serious ripening starts. I get a little crazy for blackberry cobbler. I found a few today that were ripe and sweet.

Pretty and peaceful in the noon-day sunshine.

The state of the garden, at the moment. The squash plant is going bananas, the chard is still out-producing my ability to eat it. The nasturtiums are bright, and the rosemary loves the heat. I had to pull the parsley plants a few days ago because they were going to seed, not producing anymore leaves. I planted some seeds and hope to have more soon enough.

Looking close at the other end, the eggplant has a purple blossom opening and inside the red cage the pickling cucumber -- stunted by snails -- is also blossoming.

Spent $4 for a small container of fresh figs at the farmer's market this morning. I was thinking of fig season a couple of days ago, and while it was pricey, I was willing to pay it. Yum! I can eat lots of fresh figs when I get the chance.

And in the manner of small victories, I attached the swivel plastic door to the cat's enclosed litter box this morning and she didn't even hesitate to go through and back out. When I bought this box, several months ago, I wasn't brave enough to attach the door until she grew accustomed to the newness of the box. It's never wise to give a cat any reason to be uncomfortable with its litter box! Time passed and we both got used to the box the way it is, but I remembered the door today and it seems to work for both of us.

As I said. Small victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment