Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Italian comfort food -- my way

Oh, yum!

It is as good as it looks, probably better than it looks.

My Italian-based take on shrimp and grits: chicken and polenta. We made a version of this back in the day when I was cooking Italian food for a living. As I recall, that version used heavy cream. Not exactly diet food. Not that this is truly diet food, I don't suppose, but really, it's not all that bad. Within my calorie goals for the day, and healthy. Mostly.

I started with a shrimp and grits recipe from Bobby Flay, just substituted chicken for the shrimp and added mushrooms, omitted the cheese. I made myself be patient and allow the polenta to cook long enough to be really thick and creamy. Rendered a small amount of bacon, cooked the chicken (one boneless/skinless thigh) in the fat, added mushrooms, garlic, scallions and lemon juice to finish cooking. Added the crisp bacon back in. Topped with fresh parsley from the garden.  Again, yum!

It's not perfect, but it's damned good and I'm not sure quite what I'd change to make it 'better'. For me, polenta has become a real comfort food. I normally eat it on its own -- nothing added but salt and butter. I could eat tons of it -- these days, I need all the comfort I can find.

Our day here has turned sunny. At the moment. Not likely to last, but we'll happily take whatever sunshine we can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment