Friday, March 24, 2017

An Oregon thing

Cutest thing outside my window late afternoon yesterday. A pair of Canadian geese calmly approached the curb on the other side of the street, near the crosswalk, and stepped out onto the pavement. At that point, the road has the equivalent of 4 traffic lanes and 2 bicycle lanes and is normally heavily traveled. But things were kind of quiet and as I watched, I hoped.

First car that came along stopped immediately, as the birds continued calmly walking. Then the first car traveling in the opposite direction stopped and then everything came to a standstill until the birds were safely out of reach of a car, and on the curb on this side of the street. I like that about Oregon.

This morning, I see one of them sitting calmly in the middle of the lawn as if nesting. For their sake, I hope that's not the case, because I don't think our lawn maintenance people would be inclined to work around them. And I don't like to think of them crossing that street, especially with babies following along, too often.

Other than that -- Oregon's men's basketball is headed for the Elite Eight. The women are playing their Sweet Sixteen on Saturday. Our men are good, but my casual observance from watching only the last couple of women's games is that the women are better. Maybe not better when all of our men are playing to their potential, but I don't think that's the case right now. I wish them all luck, anyway.

We've had a good amount of sunshine this week. More than predicted or expected. Raining again, but that's ok. It's Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment