Sunday, March 19, 2017

Healthy breakfast cake

Inspired by an article I read somewhere this morning -- either the local paper or the NYT, I decided to try making a 'healthy' breakfast cake instead of the usual smoothie.

Aside from the 1/3 cup of whole wheat flour, and leavenings, everything else in here would have gone into the smoothie, in the same quantities. A small banana, 3 lg strawberries, coconut oil, a raw egg (not always in smoothie, but sometimes), cinnamon, a drizzle of honey (maybe a teaspoon). That's it.



The flour added an extra 147 calories to my day, but I can easily work around that for the rest of the day's food.

The cake is light, and extremely moist because I used as little flour as possible, just enough to bind the other ingredients together. But it tastes wonderful and is a far, far more soul-satisfying addition to the day than a smoothie will ever be!

I can see that this will become a staple around here. Not daily, but often enough. And no guilt involved.


Brat Kat was posing ever so nicely yesterday, so I couldn't resist taking her portrait. Lighting not good, thus a little shaky on the focus end, but better than with the flash and I know that if I'd moved around too much to turn various lights on, she'd have moved.

She is still utterly spoiled, but also still very sweet and loving. Has taken to waking me up in the mornings if I manage to sleep past the time her internal clock says is the time I generally wake up. Does it sweetly, of course, but I'm still awake.

Due for a non-rainy day here, which is something of a rarity these days. Don't know about sunny, just not rainy. And most of us waterlogged Oregonians will be happy to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment