Friday, July 29, 2016

Dog Days of Summer

How's the heat wave where you are? Other than yesterday and today, it's been pretty moderate hereabouts. And headed back that way tomorrow. Thank goodness!

I've mostly hidden out inside, and mostly been glued to YouTube watching the convention proceedings all week. Some fascinating people speaking, every day, all day.

But, I took time out yesterday morning to head out in the effort to complete that bicycle loop I spoke of last time, and I made it with ease. Not speed, mind you, but without a lot of angst and discomfort.  Turned out it was a little longer than I had estimated -- 11.2 miles, according to Google Maps -- but that was ok, too. I wasn't worried or I would have checked to see how many miles it was before I left home. Made it in 1 hour and 22 minutes, which is certainly slow, but steady. I don't care about speed, never have. I'm out there for fun and there's no need to rush fun. Nor the 74 year old, out-of-shape muscles that were doing the work.

I've found another, longer, route in the same area -- simply another crossroads further down the pike -- but that's around 16 miles and I'm not ready for that yet. I'll be content to stick with 11.2 for awhile, as I build these muscles back to fighting shape. And that'll happen -- is actually happening fairly fast. After all, it's been barely a week since the first ride in almost two years, so going 11.2 isn't anything to be embarrassed about.

Plan to head out tomorrow and do it all over again. Hopefully, a bit faster.

Other than that, I'm going to hide inside where it's cool for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment