Wednesday, April 8, 2015

What's the point?

Warning: this is going to be a grouchy post. It's 5:15 am and I can't have any coffee! Hot water and lemon juice just doesn't cut it. I won't miss the caffeine,  but it'll take me a day or so to quieten the screaming coffee habit.

To top it off, today is weights and measures day, and the scale shows that I'm up a pound since yesterday, leaving me only one pound lost in the past week, and zero difference in the tape measure. What's the point of all this 'doing without'? The weight loss has slowed down since I started the diet, even though it's not all that different from what I was eating before, other than all the veggies (and I think I've cut down a little on that, even).

I'm supposed to be taking careful and detailed notes on how I feel each day of this diet, particularly how I feel after dropping each food group. Naturally, I haven't been doing that. I can tell I'm getting grumpier, and I'm certainly sleeping poorly the last week or so, whatever the reason. I'm more tired -- from lack of sleep? I have less energy -- same reason? Not good. Oddly enough, since the tape measure doesn't show any difference, my body actually feels lighter and slimmer -- which must be totally in my head. The fat is going from someplace -- has to be -- and I must surely be adding at least a small amount of muscle weight, from all the gym work. So why no difference?

I remember learning years ago that fat burns off the body in the reverse order that it went on. In other words -- the last fat that landed someplace is the first to go. The fat that's been there longest is the last to go. So -- it's probably burning off in small amounts all over the body, not just in the places I measure.

I've thought of ditching the diet -- really, from a weight-loss standpoint it's slowed me down. But I hate giving up on something like this, and there's only a week and a half to go. Surely I can do this!

So -- grumpy. I think that's the lack of sleep, and the subsequent effects that's having on the overall quality of my life. Growl.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear the diet is making you grumpy (or maybe just your body is grumpy from missing sugar) and you're not sleeping well, a good sleep can make a world of difference, I admit some weekends this winter I've gone to bed Saturday afternoon with a book and herbal tea and just napped my way into Sunday, and felt loads better. Good luck with your challenge,

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jane, thanks for the kind words and support. I wish I could sleep away a weekend or a couple of days! There was a time in my younger life when I did that regularly, but that was before insomnia took over my life 40 years or so ago. I get 5-6 hours on a good night these days, although I do occasionally fall asleep for awhile during the day, and often while watching tv in the evenings. I don't think sugar is the problem, since I didn't really have much of it to begin with. Just a few strawberries or blueberries in my morning smoothie, for the most part. I think it's frustration from the lack of progress, combined with lack of sleep. And last night the body was craving something good and different to eat -- although it wouldn't settle on any one thing in particular. I watched those cravings, of course, so they wouldn't 'take hold'. Better to let them go!

    ReplyDelete