Monday, April 20, 2015

Curried sweet potato pancakes - yum!

As promised, I tried the curried sweet potato pancakes from Susan Feniger's cookbook, and as expected, it was right on!

Just the right amount of spices (cumin and fennel seed, coriander, turmeric, cayenne and fresh ginger), although I might have preferred more. The topping is plain yogurt with chopped green onions, and while it was kind of ho hum on its own, it blended perfectly with the pancakes.Update: a day later, the spices in the pancakes had blended and were perfect, and the green onion had permeated the yogurt so the sauce was really tasty on its own. Perfect example of peasant food, good when fresh, even better a day later as leftovers.

I made half the recipe, and it's not all that easy to do something like this exactly by halves, so whatever I might feel about wanting more spice could easily be attributed to that. As always, I found ways that I would do things differently next time, to make them hold together better in cooking, such as chop the onions much finer. They are soft, so a bit hard to hold together, in the pan and out. The sweet potato was still a little crunchy (but cooked through), and I liked that.

Wouldn't tamper with the recipe, however. I ate these two and now have 5 in the freezer for the future, which I won't mind at all.

I need to hie myself down to our wonderful new/used bookstore, trade that diet book in for this cookbook, if I'm lucky enough to find a copy there. Next time I'm downtown, that's on the list of things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment