Friday, April 4, 2014

The grouch returns

Spectacular waterfall in the forests of North Carolina
Gosh, it's so nice to be home. I say that with great big tongue in cheek because it's never nice to be welcomed by a fast-encroaching line of thunderstorms full of possible tornadoes. Oh, boy. I can't get out of tornado alley fast enough -- just a few more weeks.

If that sounds grouchy, it's because I am. Got home just before midnight, to bed around 1am (too wired after all that driving to go right to bed), didn't sleep for an hour or so and it was fitful for the few hours of opportunity. Got up around 5:30 because I was clearly wide awake and not going back to sleep. So yes, I'm grouchy and groggy.

Helluva weather week in Hot Springs, NC.  The first morning of the retreat we woke up to snow! I walked out around 6:45am to walk to the meditation hall and it was like stepping into another dimension -- a winter wonderland of the kind I've never really seen. There was just enough daylight to see the property, see every tree limb and twig and every fence rail, rooftop, stair rail and other possible surface topped with a couple of inches of fresh snow. Absolutely beautiful beyond words. I wasn't able to get a photo -- didn't want to run back and get the camera, then be late to meditation. It would not have looked good to walk into the hall late and toting a camera. So I had to be content with the memory.

That day turned sunny, but brisk, and the snow melted fairly quickly.  Then, a few days of warm sunshine, shirtsleeve weather in the 70s. Then, yesterday morning we awoke to rain, which turned to thunderstorms during early meditation and the hail at just the exact moment we had to leave the hall to walk back to the lodge for breakfast! Didn't last long, but gave us a very slippery surface to walk on until we got down the wooden stairs to the gravel. And then, another warm, sunny day. Crazy!

So -- have a couple of errands to run this morning, then plan to just veg out in front of the computer and catch up with some tv shows I've missed this past week. Or something. Because Sunday, I have to turn around and do it all again -- albeit to a different place. About 660 miles on this trip -- probably double that on the one that's upcoming. But indeed, I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment