Thursday, April 24, 2014

Priceless

I should have posted this before, because it's such a great souvenir of my last trip to Bhavana with the two Bhikkhunis (nuns). That's yours truly on the left, Bhante Gunarantana in the middle, Ayya Sudhamma, and Ayya Sobhana. Not the kind of opportunity I'd have had as just a lay visitor -- Ayya Sobhana was behind this one!

This last week is winding down.  Only FIVE days left until my friend arrives from Eugene. The next day, we leave for Oregon. Things still clutter the house, but mostly they are things I want and need for the next few days -- the desk, a lamp and table, refrigerator, washer/dryer, and heater. Most of them have a home awaiting, the rest will go to Goodwill. Now, I get to finish up final details. Today I'm having lunch with an elderly cousin. Tomorrow I need to go to Rome to get the car serviced, my haircut, and a final recycling run. Little things. Mostly, just waiting.

Yesterday I drove into Atlanta to have lunch with a couple who I know through the monthly half-day meditation retreats I attend. I've always known they were a really special pair -- together and individually -- but of necessity our conversations in the past have been of short duration. In the two hours yesterday we all got to know one another better, which makes it even harder to leave them behind. I think they'll come visit -- sure hope so! Alan gave me a lovely book that I can't wait to read, Breakfast with Buddha, and Julie gave me one of the most precious gifts I've ever received in my entire life. I knew there was something she wanted me to take with me -- that was the original point of the lunch -- but when she pulled a beautiful paisley stole from her bag my mouth dropped open, and her words brought tears. She said she could have bought something new for me, but she wanted me to have something of hers that she loved, so that every time I wrap it around me to ward off chills in meditation rooms (or elsewhere) I would know that there is somebody somewhere who loves me. If that's not special, I don't know what is. The stole is exquisite -- but the words are priceless.

Not much to say after that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment