Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Wild China, and Other Thoughts

Think National Geographic on video and you might understand what this BBC series has to offer.  I've had it on my mail disk queue for months now, but suddenly they were released for instant watching, and I didn't waste any time doing so, although it took two evenings to accomplish watching all six episodes.

As the name implies, this series explores China in a natural sense -- from the world's highest mountains, including Everest, to expansive deserts, raging rivers and a long coastline.  Focus is on the scenery, the flora and fauna and birdlife, and lots of history.  The cinematography is so good that the series is a visual feast from beginning to end.

I'm sure I'm not the only person fascinated with this vast country and its ancient history and diverse landscapes.  I'm pretty sure I'll never get there in this lifetime and even if I did, I'd never see the areas shown in this series.  Buddhist temples; remnants of the ancient 'silk road', silk processing from the time the worms gorge themselves then spin their cocoons to the spinning of the fine threads; ancient rice terraces; mountains that go on forever; and the indigenous people of the countryside.  Very little time is spent in any city or even on the famous wall.  If you get a chance, have a look at this.  Very worthwhile!

I had a fasting blood test to do this morning and our local lab doesn't open until 8am, so I was feeling a bit peckish by the time I left home.  We were right at freezing this morning, my windshields were covered with thick frost and I don't even have a scraper.  Fortunately, the car's defrost mechanisms worked quickly.  The reward for all this was a Mocha at the local Dutch Bros. and a chicken biscuit at McDonald's.  I feel much better now, although if the troubles I had navigating the drive-thru path at McDonald's were any indication, I may not be safe to drive 3100 miles to Georgia!  Let's put it down to hunger and leave it at that.

Cold or not, the day is sunny and bright and due to hit 55 or so today.  Once my breakfast settles a bit I have weight work to do.  Until then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment