Thursday, November 19, 2009

Stormy Weather


This about says it all -- supposedly taken during one of our recent storms in this area. Helluva photo, no matter where or when it was taken.  All to say that a big -- as in B-I-G -- storm is approaching offshore, due to arrive sometime before tomorrow morning.  Winds of 80 mph are forecast for the headlands.  Glad I'll be inside, safe and dry and warm.  I've lived on the coast during big storms before -- in Waldport, many years ago.  This place feels much sturdier than the place I lived in then. I remember one storm where I thought the building was just going to blow away! The storms are exciting -- the surf wonderful to watch.  They can cause a lot of damage, however.

I just went for a walk despite the forecast -- had to get out, needed to think about a lot of things.  No rain yet, just wind and gray skies. Walked down the street to the cliffs, watched the big breakers coming in for awhile, then walked downtown and ended up at the cattery, where I cuddled a few cats.  I felt a serious need to cuddle some cats and kittens.  They always make me feel better.  Harry is still there -- he's the one I fell in love with when I was helping clean.  It was mutual.  I've had serious thoughts of taking him with me to Georgia.  Still might, if he's still around when the time comes.

Storms have hit the home-buying process, too, although they are not totally destructive.  Yet.  Turns out the place is in a flood plain and I need flood insurance.  I was already on a high insurance rate because of the gas space heater, and this really boosted it up.  I can still afford the payments, although it's a lot more than I was expecting.  Somehow, the cash needed at closing has gone up to a point where I simply may not have enough to do it.  I'm not sure how it's happened -- has something to do with the hazard insurance, escrow amounts, etc.  I trust the banker and my real estate agent, so I know they are both doing the best they can.  For the moment, I had to put a stop to the process and give it some thought, figure out just how gutsy I am going to be in this process.  Going forward with the current estimates would have me arrive in Cedartown almost penniless.  Not a nice position to be in, but I've been there before.  I'd have my next social security payment about the time I arrive, no rent or house payment for February, and stand to get $5000 in stimulus money from the feds after I file my tax returns.  That's all great -- but still a scary place to be.  No wiggle room in there for unexpected expenses.  Or in case the final $$ amount on closing day is more than I have.  That would be a fine pickle!

On the positive side, the sellers have agreed to put gutters in.  They are doing all they can to make it work.  So is everyone else involved.  But I can't manufacture cash, and that's the sticking point.  I'm going to sleep on it, maybe even wait until Monday.  I have until the 29th to back out without penalty.

What to do, what to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment