Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The bounty of the garden

Remember this from a couple of weeks ago? I've had a few meals from that chard since then, but with the nice weather, it's been going a bit crazy, so today I went out and harvested all of the large leaves. Six point four ounces of it!


You probably don't love chard as much as I do, but I enjoyed every bite of this. I chop the stems into maybe half inch pieces, slit the greens in half then crosscut them into manageable sizes. These things magically become much, much smaller as they cook. Like spinach.

I saute them in olive oil, add a couple of whole garlic cloves to the oil, add the stems and let them soften a bit, then add the greens and toss them until they are wilted. Salted, of course. Doesn't take long, is filled with nutrition (especially straight out of the garden!), and to my old taste buds, delicious.

Yeah, I had more for lunch, but none of it came from the garden. Since there's also lettuce out there that needs to be used (tomorrow), I'm glad that the chard plants are down to a small quantity for now. They'll be bounteous again soon enough. The gift that keeps on giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment