Saturday, April 4, 2020

Heceta Head Lighthouse


This isn't a recent photo -- probably a couple of years ago. But as I scrolled through the various folders looking for inspiration, something that stood out and moved me tonight, the folder of lighthouses caught my eye. Because we can all use a beacon of light in the darkness that's taking over our world, and this is one of the most spectacular places I've ever seen. I remember my first glimpse, back in 1996 when I first drove up this coastline. Mindboggling, in person. Beautiful always.

There's a woman living in this building whose husband of 62 (I think it was) years died about 5 months ago. I've come to know her a little bit over those months, and have heard bits and pieces of their life together. They were lightkeepers at this lighthouse once upon a time, for about 17 years, as I recall. The house is now a B&B, but they had it all to themselves for a long, wonderful time. I didn't know him well, but the one occasion I had to hear him speak, he was quite interesting, as is she.

I'm still here, if anyone's wondering, and as far as I know, healthy. I didn't sleep much last night, so it hasn't been a fun day (lots of dozing, a couple of movies, random food).

I'm grateful to a few people in the building who are happy with a little email correspondence. It helps the odd and wildly swinging emotions that we all seem to be feeling with all this isolation. And we are people who are good at isolation, as a rule. Loners all. Hermits at heart. I'm happy to have this blog as an outlet, though as always it's like talking into a vacuum -- or the universe -- and there is never an answer. But it's good to get things out even if no one listens.

Hope all is well out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment