Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Good coffee is a thing of beauty

There's nothing like a good cup of coffee to start the day off and make me feel about as joyful as these kids.

My old coffeemaker died a couple of months ago and since I was still anticipating a possible major life change where I wouldn't need such a thing, I put off buying a new one and have used a single-cup cone filter. OK coffee, but variable from day to day.

I spent last week in California considering this major life change and, in the end, decided I was better off staying where I am. I had rather a whirlwind of a trip -- total of 6 days, including two days of driving -- but it was enough and while I could have stayed an extra day, I opted to drive on  home. I was ready. Pretty tiring trip for an old broad like me, though the body and mind handled it better than I expected. It's been almost two years since I'd made this trip, so I wasn't sure what to expect with all the fatigue and lack of energy I've had in recent months.

I vegetated for a few days afterwards -- recouping from the entire 6 days -- but since I had to do a bit of grocery shopping in order to eat, I also researched coffee makers and found one I wanted available at the local WalMart. Small drip coffeemaker. Nothing special, just small. After a few days of trial and error, how much coffee for my large mug, one or two filters, today I think I have found the perfect recipe.

Two filters, definitely. I learned this trick back in 2000 when I worked for the president and winemaker of a good Napa Valley winery. One morning I was making coffee and he came in and suggested I use two filters. In his lovely French accent and winemaker terminology, he explained that two filters gives the coffee more time to 'macerate'. This was a new concept to me, but he was right. The coffee and the water stay in contact longer, plus the two filters seem to create an end result that has less residue even though the coffee is strong. Perfect!

So, now that I'm apparently here to stay (and not at all sorry about that), I need to turn my attention to many other things that have been on hold for these months as the decision hovered over my life. It feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment