Thursday, August 3, 2017

Hot!

This would be a good day (week!) to be on the coast with a little fog and a good, cool ocean breeze.

107F yesterday, same due today. 90s for the next 10 days. Fun.

I am grateful for air conditioning, as much as I actually hate AC. I don't like cold air blowing on me, and the thermostat here doesn't seem to be too accurate, but this apartment would be unbearable without it. I'm good with the 90s, but when it hits triple figures, not so much.

Yesterday I dozed off in the afternoon with the AC on, turned as low as I could manage to get the thermostat to cycle on/off. After an hour or so I woke up because it was so cold. I don't know if the AC had been on the entire time, but the house was cold. I turned it off and even with the heat outside, the house didn't reach a temp where I turned it on again for several hours.

Other than that -- life is quiet and a little dull. I've decided that I need to go for a long walk early this morning, before the heat hits. Exercise has been minimal lately -- the gym had gotten so hot for several weeks that I found it pretty unbearable, sometimes feeling woozy from it. Complaints to management didn't help. So I haven't been for awhile. Nor have I been walking. Gotta get out there again.

Tomorrow an hour-long fire drill -- or longer. Whatever it is, not only do I have to vacate the premises, I have to take the cat, because the alarm will be going off the entire time and it would not be fair to her to leave her inside. It's really, really, loud and even during the regular fire drills she freaks out. It's an assault to my ears, and cats have much better/more sensitive hearing than humans.

Preparing for this, I bought a used carrier at Goodwill, put it on the floor so she'd get used to it. Surprisingly, she loves it! Sometimes goes in and just chills, watching me from inside. Uses her toys to play around it, and leave them there. Will that make it easier to catch her and put her inside with the alarm going off? Probably not. If they'll give me an approximate time, I'll try to get her out before it starts.

Photo of her food dish this morning -- more toys clustered around it than I've seen yet. She brings all her toys in here when playing with them. Often there are 2 or 3 inside the dish. Crossing my fingers that she's lost interest in putting them into the water dish, because that got old. Haven't seen her do that for a day or so, but probably a temporary lull. A little google research told me that cats have safe places, that they tend to put favorite things in the safe places, and that for a cat, food is a primary life concern and thus a safe place. Particularly so with a cat who has ever lived on the streets without regular meals, as this cat did for an unknown time before being taken to the shelter. So, I'll put the toys back in the 'toy box' in the living room, and she'll move them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment