Saturday, August 5, 2017

The great fire drill escapade

I think the cat has forgiven me. Possibly. At least partially. But it took a good 24 hours. Felines have very long memories and hold grudges as much as some humans do.

But, she hasn't forgiven her short-lived new friend, the cat carrier. Every time she walks near it, she gives it an uncertain look as if daring it to attack her. I've also seen her lie down on the carpet and stretch out to her fullest so her front paws are almost touching it. And I've seen her approach the thing, sniffing, trying to figure out what happened.

It might all have gone better, but when I asked the manager about time on Thursday, all she could say was that it wouldn't happen before 10am but that it could be as late as 5:30pm. The usual fire drills generally come a bit after 10am, so about a quarter til ten I picked the cat up and encouraged her into the carrier, where she went quite willingly. She wasn't quite so happy once I closed the door. Confused.

I gathered the other items (my bag, including my kindle so I could read while I waited), opened the door and went into the hallway where a white paper memo waited at everyone's door. We get lots of these, mostly throw-away, but I always read the subject line and this one was the fire drill. Turns out, the tech had told them it wouldn't happen until 3:30pm! Alas.

Back into the house, where I unlatched the carrier door. Kat tore out with her ears back and ran off to hide somewhere for a moment. For the rest of the day, she watched my every move with suspicion, giving me evil side-eyes anytime I moved, even if she was curled up 'sleeping'. Because I felt bad, I served up her 'dinner' at 2pm -- a yummy, pasty, fish and meat canned food that she loves.

Around 3:15, I picked her up and took her to the carrier -- but she was smarter, now. No way was she walking into that thing, nor could I shove her into it. I had to resort to a trick I used with my last cat. Up-ended the carrier so the door was on top, grabbed the cat by the nape of the neck and lowered her tail first into it. Needless to say, they are never amused at this treatment. But she was in there and the door was closed. Out we went.

Off to the tables under the big oak tree near the garden area, where it was somewhat shady. Temps were around 100F at that point. I put the carrier on a table and sat in front of it, where she could see me. Other people arrived, including another cat in a cool pet 'stroller' and a bird in a cage. The management kindly brought out cold bottled water and cookies for the few of us who hadn't escaped altogether or braved the noise and stayed inside. The test kept being delayed, but Kat stayed wonderfully calm, really. No noise, no panic. At one point I saw her panting, mouth open, so put some water into a little container and dared to open the door and put it inside. She sniffed, but never drank any.

The test kept being delayed, but once it went off it didn't last all that long. Inside with the tech were two staff members. Their plan was to literally run down the hallways, presumably with one staff person unlocking each door and moving on, the tech running inside to check the lights, and the other staff person locking the door behind them. Three floors of this! And somehow, they pulled it off. Not sure how long it lasted, but I was back inside a touch after 4pm, which was perfect.

Kat ran out of the carrier again, and was decidedly miffed at me and very wary of the carrier for the rest of the day. All is more or less forgiven now. I think. By this evening, she was even tentatively playing around the door of the carrier with some favorite toys. But not inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment