Thursday, September 1, 2011

A lot of work, in small packages

Got my fall seed order from Territorial Seeds yesterday.  Now, tell me people. Does one person really need all this? As usual, I got carried away. But, small quantities of each will work wonders, and most can also be replanted for spring.

Winter veggies, including fennel and radicchio, among other things.

The state of the garden this morning, under overcast skies. Tomatoes and peppers at the rear left, and aside from the basil and flowers, there's nothing else left in any of those raised beds. I'm still trying to figure out where to plant all these seeds for best use of the space available.

It certainly doesn't feel much like fall around here, but the garden tells the tale.  I pulled the lima beans on Tuesday, after harvesting and shelling most of the dried pods.  The okra and eggplant are long gone. I've about lost interest in the tomatoes, although I'll leave the yellow bell peppers since they're going nuts all of a sudden. I probably won't move the perennial flowers until later in the fall, or pull the basil and marigolds until they die.

So -- work! I need to deal with compost, moving it from the bin into the beds, before I can plant. That's probably the hardest work that needs doing right now and hopefully I can get into that during the upcoming weekend. The weatherguessers are predicting cooler weather, and even some rain, beginning Sunday or Monday! Neither can come too soon.  As you can see in the above photo, most of the grass has turned brown and crispy, and I've been doing a lot of watering to keep what's out there alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment